I’ve never made turkey meatballs before because every one I’ve ever tasted has been bland, dry and utterly disappointing. Why waste my time on something like that? However, a large amount of discounted ground turkey recently ended up in my refrigerator (I’m a sucker for a bargain), and I decided it was time to try my hand the turkey meatball challenge. I came across a recipe on one of my favorite food blogs, and I was intrigued by the secret ingredient: yogurt. I added some feta and spices for extra flavor and WHAM! Now that’s a flavorful, juicy, deliciously non-disappointing meatball!
Turkey Meatballs with Feta and Mint
- 1 pound (455 g) ground turkey
- 1/2 cup (60 g) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 g) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (60 g) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, hot paprika, or red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a fork (or with your hands). Form into balls and place on a parchment-line baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden-brown and cooked through. Serve hot.