Zucchini Tart with goat cheese, lemon and thyme
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10-12 sheets (250 g) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 5.5 oz (160 g) fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 cup (120 g) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (80 g) skim milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (20 g) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large zucchini, or two small, very thinly sliced lengthwise (preferably on a mandoline)
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C), brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
Brush 1 phyllo sheet with olive oil, and fit into baking sheet, leaving an overhang. Top with a second phyllo sheet in an offset position, and brush lightly . Repeat with remaining phyllo and oil, creating a crust with a 1-inch overhang on all sides.
Crumple a few sheets of aluminum foil and fit into the corners and center of crust. Bake crust until edges are golden, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake until surface is golden, another 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and lower oven heat to 400°F (200°C).
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together stir together the goat cheese and cream until it forms a smooth paste, then add the milk and eggs and mix well. Stir in the parmesan cheese, fresh thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper if desired, and freshly grated lemon zest.
Immediately pour egg and cheese mixture into the hot crust. Arrange zucchini over top, slightly overlapping. Bake until custard is set in center, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.