- 2 lbs of bread cut into small cubes
- 1 lb of peeled, cooked chestnuts, quartered (bottled are sooo easy to use)
- 1 1/2 sticks (180 g) butter
- 4 small onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 5 cups (1,2 liters) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp salt
- one large handful coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Spread bread cubes in single layers on baking sheets and let dry, uncovered, overnight.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes. Stir in sage, then add a ladle-ful of broth and cook another 5 minutes.
Transfer onion mixture to a very large bowl. Toss to combine with remaining broth, chestnuts, bread, salt, and parsley; season with pepper. Use to stuff turkey, then transfer the leftover stuffing to a a buttered baking dish. Bake, covered at 350°F / 180°C for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Serves 12.