If the name itself isn’t enough to make you fall in love with this dressing, just wait until you taste it. The original recipe, invented in San Francisco in the 1920s, contains a variety of aromatic herbs and a hearty dose of mayonnaise and heavy cream, which I have swapped out with avocado and greek yogurt in this healthier version. While traditionally used as a salad dressing or as a dip for a raw vegetable platter, the opportunities are endless for this flavorful sauce. It’s a perfect compliment to white fish or grilled chicken, and a flavorful addition to any sandwich. Feel free to swap out the herbs for your favorite ones, and adjust the amount of oil according to the desired consistency.
Avocado green goddess dressing
- 1/2 ripe medium avocado, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 oil-packed anchovy, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup (80 g) greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (50 g) olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the avocado, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, anchovy, honey, yogurt and herbs in a food processor. Blend until creamy and smooth. With machine running, gradually add oil through feed tube; blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.