for the cake
- 2 1/3 cup almonds (9 oz /250 g) almonds
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup (80 g) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (100g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 oz (180 g) apricots, pitted and cubed
for the decoration
- 10 oz (300 g) apricots, pitted and sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour cake pan.
Pulse salt, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add eggs, almond extract and olive oil; process until very smooth. Add flour and baking powder; pulse until combined, then fold in chopped apricots. Transfer to prepared pan.
Bake cake until golden brown and the center no longer jiggles when shaken, 60–70 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool completely.
Toss apricots, sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Let sit at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Run a knife around edges of cooled cake and invert onto a platter.
Serve with macerated apricots and sliced almonds.