Soft Strawberry Cake
I am in love with this super-simple, pillow-soft, strawberry-studded Spring cake. It comes together in a flash and is the perfect showcase for the season’s bright berries.
Soft strawberry cake
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar, plus 2 Tbsp for sprinkling berries
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (70 ml) milk
- the grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- 1 pound (450 g) strawberries, hulled and halved
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10-inch pie plate or cake pan. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
Beat together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, lemon zest and the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean (if using).
Gradually mix in flour mixture with a rubber spatula. Do not overmix. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
Bake cake 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C). Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50 more minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.